Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Sir Bobby: Sad to see sluggish Ronaldo


Sir Bobby Robson says he's saddened to see his former Barcelona and PSV Eindhoven striker Ronaldo struggling with his weight.

Ex-Newcastle boss Sir Bobby said: "Ronaldo is a pale shadow of the player I knew and the player I bought 10 years ago when I was manager at Barcelona.
"It is sad to see him like this when he was once the best player in the world.
"He was so talented and powerful. It made him the player he was.
"In 1996 we paid £20million for him - which in those days was a lot of money.
"But he was arguably one of the best players in the world and soon after I signed him, he was undoubtedly the best player.
"He was a sensational player and that is why it is so sad to see him like this.
"I think there is something wrong with him at the moment.
"He is sluggish, there is no movement and he looks a shadow of the player I knew."