Thursday, June 22, 2006

Owen: I feel guilt over Newcastle letdown


England striker Michael Owen admits one of his first thoughts after learning the seriousness of his injury was for the Newcastle United fans.
Newcastle star Owen, 26, said: "When I was flat on my back with ice-packs around my knee, I felt guilt - not self-pity.

"I was sending text messages to all sorts of people apologising for letting them down. I was feeling especially guilty towards Newcastle. Chairman Freddy Shepherd paid all that money for me, while Glenn Roeder has been very supportive.
"And those great fans have seen me for only 11 matches."
Owen, who was out for six months with a metatarsal injury, insisted: "I was really looking forward to getting my first goal and firing England a long way.
"With Wayne Rooney back, I felt things were finally falling into place.
"All those dreams were shattered within a minute but worse things happen to people every day.
"When I told my little girl that daddy had hurt his knee, she just asked me to put on Postman Pat.
"I have not had much luck this year but I'll be back.
"My 2006 World Cup is over, but there will be more big tournaments for Michael Owen."