Sunday, June 04, 2006

Crespo no to new deal


Chelsea striker Hernan Crespo has told owner Roman Abramovich he is not interested in extending his contract at Stamford Bridge.
The 30-year-old, who is currently preparing for the World Cup finals with Argentina, has been the subject of a move away from West London following the arrival of Andrei Shevchenko from Milan.
The former River Plate, Parma, Lazio and Internazionale hit-man is happy to see out his contract with The Blues, but reiterated his desire to return to Italy in the future.
"I have two years left on my contract and everybody knows my intention is to return to Italy," Crespo said in the News of the World. "But that doesn't depend on me.
"If Chelsea decide I won't be leaving, then I'm satisfied.
"But when I spoke with Roman Abramovich, he couldn't understand my feelings.
"He said 'How can it be?' The fans want you - Jose Mourinho, too. I'm offering to extend your contract and you want to go'."
Meanwhile, Crespo's Chelsea team-mate Didier Drogba says there will be no room for sentiment when Ivory Coast face Argentina in the World Cup.
Both nations open their Group C campaign against each other in Hamburg on June 10, with many calling it 'the group of death' after Holland and Serbia & Montenegro were also drawn together with the Ivorians and Argentinians.
The former Marseille striker says Crespo expressed his fear at facing The Elephants and Drogba intends to show no club loyalties in Germany.
"Crespo is scared of me and scared of playing us at the World Cup," Drogba said.
"Hernan told me before we came out to Germany that he is afraid of playing me and my country.
"He said Argentinians don't like playing African sides, as they have had bad experiences. They lost to Cameroon at the 1990 World Cup and Nigeria in the Olympics in 1996.
"I'm not worried if we beat them and it causes bad blood. I want to score the goals that put Argentina out of the tournament.
"This is not a time for club team-mates to worry about each other - and I certainly won't be, whoever I play against."