Saturday, June 10, 2006

Eriksson: This my best ever England team


England boss Sven Goran Eriksson says this is the best team he has had in his time in charge.
Preparing for today's big match against Paraguay, Eriksson declared: "This is the best England team I ever had. No doubt.
"I have waited for this moment a long time. I believe they can handle the expectations, absolutely.
"We have a lot of experience and a lot of players who have won trophies domestically and internationally. They will handle that. I'm not worried at all about that.
"I think I feel the same as the players. We wanted it to begin and now is the time.
"Let's hope it will be a big, big party for one month."
Paraguay may have qualified third in South America but their approach in the Waldstadion is likely to be cautious on the ball and relentlessly physical off it.
Coach Anibal Ruiz is preoccupied by England's set-piece prowess and aerial threat, with Paraguay's training sessions seemingly all about finding nefarious - and occasionally legal ways - of nullifying that strength.

Eriksson agreed: "I hope we play our way and our game as much as possible in this tournament.
"We should do that because I think we're a great team. It's important to set the tempo from the start. When you have a great team, and I feel we do, you can impose yourselves throughout the tournament.
"That means showing a killer instinct as well, because that is important in football. When you have a chance to score, you must take it. In 2002 we lost to Brazil and then lost to Portugal in 2004.
"Then we were almost there. Now I think we are there."
What comes today and over the next four weeks will be the proof or failure of that bold claim, although assuming Steven Gerrard does not wake up this morning with pain in his back there can be no excuses for a poor start.
Eriksson's bond with his squad, from skipper David Beckham down, is a thread running through his reign. Now is pay-back time.
"I have got emotionally attached to these players," said the Swede.
"Of course it's important that you have a sense of determination. This might be my last chance of playing a World Cup Final. If that happens it will be the best day of my professional life."