Thursday, March 30, 2006

Arsenal's Cesc: I was right to leave Barcelona


Cesc Fabregas says Arsenal's Champions League success justifies his decision to quit Barcelona as a 16 year-old.

Fabregas was the star of Arsenal's 2-0 victory against Juventus at Highbury.
And the 18-year-old believes the quarter-final win proves he was right to leave home at such a tender age.
Fabregas said: "I am really happy to have made that decision when I was so young. So many people have believed in me so it's great."
The young Spain midfield star outshone former Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira, scoring the opener and setting up Thierry Henry's crucial second.
But he is uncomfortable with claims he has come of age and matured as Vieira's natural successor.
Fabregas said: "I don't know and I don't like it. I have always tried my best. I work hard in every training session and I always give my best.
"In the last few weeks we have won games and done well and it reflects well on a player individually, but I don't think that's fair. It's the team.
"I am getting better. I feel stronger in training and I am playing better but it is also because the team is playing well. We are young and improving a lot as a team.
"I tried to do my best as usual. I like to show everyone that I can play for Arsenal and luckily for me I scored one goal and set up another.
"It is always difficult to play against midfielders like Patrick and Emerson. They are two of the best midfielders in the world.
"I am 18 and I had to play against them so I had to work hard for the team and that's what we did."