Friday, March 31, 2006

West Ham's Sheringham: Longevity runs in the family


West Ham veteran Teddy Sheringham says no-one should be surprised he's still playing.

He revealed: "I feel as enthusiastic and fresh as the day I made my debut at 17 for Millwall.
"But I don't understand what all the fuss is about as my dad Paul, at 66, plays tennis five mornings a week and squash five evenings a week.
"Mum Shirley - she'll never forgive me if I tell you how old she is - is out on the golf course five mornings a week no matter what the weather. So me playing once, maybe twice a week is not really that big a deal.
"Sure I've been around long enough to see some major changes in the game but I always remember when John Barnes was the first player to get 10 grand a week.
"Back then, it was wow! But it has all escalated tenfold - it is crazy."