Thursday, March 30, 2006

Roma's Panucci: Italy snub ridiculous


Roma fullback Christian Panucci says his omission from Italy's World Cup plans is a joke.

Panucci has been frozen out of the international scene ever since Marcello Lippi was handed the Italy job after Euro 2004.
Despite arguably being Italy's best right-back option, Lippi has left him out following an altercation between the pair during their time together at Inter.
"Italy is one of the few countries in the world where a player can be left out because he isn't liked," he told Italia 1 on Wednesday.
Although Panucci maintains that he is a better player than Palermo's Cristian Zaccardo, who Lippi has continually opted for, he's archived his Azzurri ambitions.
"Is Zaccardo better than me? I don't really think so," he commented. "Nevertheless, I'm not wasting my time thinking about it. I'd rather just forget about it."