Saturday, March 25, 2006

Barton still unsure over future

Joey Barton admits he is still unsure whether he will sign a new Manchester City contract, after conceding he was impetuous to demand a transfer.
The midfielder handed in a transfer request during the January window, but City refused to adhere to Barton's wishes.
The stand-off arose after Barton rejected a new deal at The City of Manchester Stadium and further talks have yet to bring about agreement.
Barton feels he has shown his commitment to the club, but he remains uncertain about the prospect of securing a new contract.
"Hand on heart, I don't know," Barton told The Daily Mail when asked what will happen next.
"But I think I've shown I remain committed to this football club."
The 23-year-old accepts he erred in asking to leave the club earlier this year, but he admits he was hurt by how City handled the situation.
Barton also dismissed talk that he was being greedy in his demands for a new contract and revealed he is heeding the advice of team-mate Andy Cole.
He added: "I was angry and I was hurt. Hurt by the fact that the club came out publicly and said they had offered me £28,000-a-week.
"Well it was actually £28,750 - £3,750 of that was a win bonus, which we only get if we win, and £5,000 of that was an appearance bonus, which I only get if I play.
"So realistically, they offered me £20,000-a-week. Every players gets the £8,750 if they play in a winning first team.
"I just don't think it should have been handled like that. I don't want to have a go at the club, but if I was running a business, that is not how I would go about things.
"I consider myself a major asset at Manchester City and I would want to protect my assets.
"There are people in there (the club) I will be eternally gratefully to, but it doesn't mean I should do something for less than I'm worth. As much as I love my job, it remains a job.
"You have to look after number one in this business. Andy Cole always says to me 'ships in the night'. That's football.
"I accept I was very impetuous in the way I went about it. I made a mistake. But like I said, I was hurt."