Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Croatia defenders split on Ronaldo effectiveness


Croatia defender Robert Kovac says marking Brazil striker Ronaldo last night was a breeze.

The holders won 1-0, but 29-year-old Ronaldo was anonymous and was substituted after 69 minutes.
"I don't know what happened to him," Kovac told BBC Sport. "He didn't run and stayed in front of us. He must be tired. He hardly touched the ball.
"It was very easy. I've played against him before and it was very difficult. I don't know what's happened with him."
But Croatia defender Josip Simunic offered some support for the man who scored 12 goals in three previous World Cups.
"Ronaldo is the most dangerous player in the world," said Simunic.
"I don't know what everyone is talking about and I am 100% sure he will score four or five goals in the tournament. Just wait and see."