Thursday, June 15, 2006

Eriksson: No Owen showdown


England boss Sven Goran Eriksson insists there's been no showdown talks with Michael Owen after he hooked the striker against Paraguay on Saturday.

With Wayne Rooney desperate to return and Peter Crouch having played well enough to keep his place, things could get interesting.
Eriksson said: "It's important Michael plays better and better, although whether it is for 80 minutes or 90 is not that important.
"I hope he is on the right way. I think he is."
Eriksson denied claims there had been showdown talks between the two, or that Owen had demanded an explanation for being hooked off.
The gaffer added: "I've not talked to him about it. I don't think I need to explain why I take players off. I do it every game. He was not distraught. He is much too professional to do that.
"I think he is getting better and better. In the beginning he was maybe a little bit afraid but I don't think he is afraid now, at all."