Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Maradona backs Newcastle's Owen for big World Cup




Argentina legend Diego Maradona admits he fears Newcastle striker Michael Owen will lead England to World Cup glory this month.

Maradona reckons Owen, 26, can put his injury woes behind him.
Maradona, 45, said: “Everybody in Argentina is aware of the threat Owen poses to our hopes of winning the World Cup.
“It was a shame he was injured last season but I am certain he will be one of the stars of the World Cup.
“And with him on form, I think England can do well in Germany.”
Owen scored a wonder goal in England’s second round defeat by the Argies eight years ago.
Maradona admitted: “I first became aware of Michael when he scored that great goal against my country.
“He was only a boy then but I have watched his career closely since and been impressed.
“He scored many goals for Liverpool and did well in his short time at Real Madrid. Now he is back in England, he is scoring goals again for Newcastle.”