Sunday, April 23, 2006

Arsenal boss Wenger slams 'liar' Jol


Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was involved in a furious touchline row with Spurs counterpart Martin Jol during yesterday's 1-1 draw at Highbury.
Wenger accused the Tottenham bench of lying after a controversial Robbie Keane goal which dealt a blow to Arsenal's hopes of a top-four finish in the Barclays Premiership.
Keane had put the visitors ahead just after the hour with a tap-in while the Gunners had Emmanuel Eboue down injured after he had collided with team-mate Gilberto on the half-way line.
Spurs midfielder had Michael Carrick played on, having seen that referee Steve Bennett seemed happy to continue, and seconds later Keane fired Spurs ahead.
With six minutes left, Arsenal captain Thierry Henry, who had started on the bench, produced a brilliant finish to level the match but Arsenal could not find a winner even though Spurs were reduced to 10 men when Edgar Davids received a second booking.
Wenger was involved in a furious touchline war of words with Spurs boss Martin Jol after Keane's goal and there was no handshake at the end of the match.
The Gunners boss said: "They (Eboue and Gilberto) collided with each other it is true, and with a player from Tottenham (Carrick). Whether they collided with one of our players or not, when they (Spurs players) went down (earlier in the game), we kicked the ball out. It does not matter with whom you collide."
The Arsenal boss rejected the notion that Jol had not witnessed the incident.
Wenger said: "Do you really believe you cannot see that? It was right in front of the bench.
"Carrick had a hesitation whether to kick the ball out or not? Why? When we had two players down.
"They (the Tottenham bench) even lie about that and I find that very disappointing."
"Okay it is their responsibility to behave like they behaved, but I find that very, very disappointing.
"From English football, it is the first time I have seen that, and in a crucial game.
"It is difficult to take. You can write what you want, but I do not accept that."
Wenger added: "Everybody kicks everybody down and continues to play.
"There is a rule (convention) in England that accepts that when somebody is down, and they have stayed down after, we kicked the ball out and gave it them back.
"So I do not know why they could not do that? It is very disappointing.
"He (Jol) said he did not see it - but frankly I do not believe it that he did not see it."
In 1999, Arsenal earned a fair play award after offering to replay an FA Cup tie against Sheffield United as Kanu had chased a throw-in designed to give the ball back after an injury before crossing for Marc Overmars to score.
Wenger said: "When we have done that, we have asked to replay the game.
"You cannot go on and steal a game away like that, then go home and say to everybody 'listen, I did not see what happened'
"If you get away with it, you are a lucky man, but I am sorry, I do not take it."
As well as Wenger's row with Jol in the wake of the controversial opening goal, Gunners keeper Jens Lehmann and midfielder Robert Pires confronted Davids.
Jol, meanwhile, was left less than impressed by Wenger's reaction.
The Spurs boss said: "I genuinely did not see it, but Wenger was pretty upset about it.
"Sometimes you lose and sometimes you win and it can be difficult for managers, but it is outrageous that he called me a liar.
"Managers should not do that. I had to go back because he does not know how strong I am.
"He said that I was a liar and I did not say anything.
"I told him that I did not even see the incident, so do not blame me. I have told the whole story. I did not even notice it.
"Maybe I am a bit angry with him, but I am sure tomorrow I will be okay because I am an easy-going guy."
Jol insisted he was not aware of the furore about the ball not being put out because he was following play in the build up to Keane's goal.
"To be fair I didn't even see it, I was watching Edgar Davids.
"The lad was going down then standing up and for me there's no problem."
Asked about Wenger not shaking hands at the full-time whistle, Jol told Sky Sports: "I was going to the referee (Steve Bennett) to shake hands with him. Sometimes you lose, sometimes you win but for me we deserved something out of this game. Even the Arsenal fans would agree with me.
"Hopefully we can win our next two matches and we'll be fourth."