Sunday, April 30, 2006

Villarreal's Riquelme: I must put penalty miss behind me


Villarreal midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme says he must put last week's penalty miss against Arsenal out of his mind.
With an impressive debut in Europe's top competition still vivid in everyone's memory however, the club need to turn their attentions to the Primera Liga again and the trip to face Getafe - direct rivals for the UEFA Cup places.

Villarreal are 10th in the table, a point behind ninth-placed Getafe and four adrift of the UEFA Cup slots.
"I can't keep going back over the penalty," said Riquelme.
"I am the person responsible for taking them and I will continue to take them in the future. Sometimes you score and others you don't, that's the way it is.
"I do think if I had scored though we would have gone on to make the final."
Villarreal have paid a heavy price in the league while playing in Europe, and have only won once in eight games since knocking Rangers out of the Champions League at the beginning of March.
"My only objective from here on until the end of the season is to help the team get back into Europe again," the Argentina international added.
"But it is going to be tough because there are teams above us and we are reliant on them dropping points. But while there is still a chance we will carry on fighting."