Thursday, April 27, 2006

Middlesbrough boss McClaren: No Southgate rift


Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren insists there's no rift with Gareth Southgate after disparaging comments from the Boro captain about his England chances.

He declared: "To be honest, someone made me aware of it and Gareth did as well. I just said it is not an issue. I've really not read it and I don't want to.
"We know what we have and what my relationship is with Gareth. I know what he brings to the club.
"Nothing comes between that and wanting to win matches and that is all we are interested in."
McClaren is expecting a captain's performance from Southgate as his team look to overturn a 1-0 deficit against Steaua Bucharest at the Riverside.
He added: "Experience counts for nothing. It is what is inside that matters. Look at Gareth and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. They've been winners all their careers.
"Lee Cattermole has bounced back and come through. It is what character you have - and that character will be tested right to the wire here.
"This will be difficult but I am quietly confident. This could be the last chance of their whole careers for some and we have to take the opportunity."