Saturday, April 29, 2006

Scolari rules out England over media pressure


Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari appears to have ruled himself out of the running for the England job.
Scolari said: "The English FA is going to choose a name. My name isn't one of them because I'm closing this matter."
The Brazilian, the coach of Portugal, said he had been shocked by intrusion into his life by the English media.


"There are 20 reporters outside my house now," said Scolari, who had been strongly tipped in this week's media to become Sven-Goran Eriksson's successor.
"If that is part of another culture, it is not part of my culture. I am not the coach, and will not be (England's) coach.
"I don't want this situation involving England because in two days during which I was not coach, I never agreed to anything, my life was invaded. My privacy was totally under siege."
Scolari added that the press had made "absurd comparisons" of him and his wife with Eriksson and the Swede's partner, and how they dressed, adding: "That's not part of my life and its never going to be."
He said he was "very pleased" the FA had considered him, but added: "Definitely at this time I want to draw a line under this matter."
The 57-year-old's contract with Portugal expires on 31 July and he has a gentleman's agreement not to commit himself to another job until his current deal runs out.
The Football Association has reacted by saying it would "reflect" on Scolari's statement before making any further comment.
But it revealed that the Brazilian had contacted the FA ahead of his announcement to tell the organising body he was pulling out.
"Luiz Felipe Scolari this afternoon made the FA aware of his intention to release a statement regarding the England head coach position," said a statement on the FA website.
"It is no secret that Mr Scolari is one of the candidates that the FA has spoken to as part of the recruitment process.
"We will now reflect on his announcement before making any further comment as we move forward with the process."