Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Lehmann heroics sends Arsenal through


Arsenal are into the Champions League final after Jens Lehmann's stunning penalty save from Villarreal ace Juan Roman Riquelme.
Villarreal looked set to send the game into extra-time when Gael Clichy fouled Jose Mari, but Lehmann dived to his left to save Riquelme's spot-kick.
Arsenal survived a siege, with Lehmann saving well from Guillermo Franco.
Diego Forlan also missed a glorious chance as Arsenal sealed a final clash with AC Milan or Barcelona in Paris.

Arsenal had to ride their luck and mount a rearguard action to reach the final on 17 May as the gifted Spanish outfit dominated throughout.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger said: "I said to myself that if it is our year, Jens will save it. I knew he had strength of character, and I knew he would not be beaten easily.
"It comes down to psychological reason and Jens guessed right. It was more of a poker game than good training."
Lehmann struggled to come to terms with the Premiership after his move to Arsenal, but has been outstanding this season.
Wenger said: "Maybe I made a good decision to drop him last year.
"I am pleased because when a guy shows professionalism and a winning attitude, you always want him to be rewarded.#
"When I think where he started when he came to England, and the steps he has made since, he deserved a lot of credit."
And Wenger said: "We were lucky, but I'm very proud of the character in that young team and I'm very happy."
Wenger admitted: "We just didn't play, whether that was down to physical or psychological reasons I don't know, but we showed such character.
"We never came into our fluent game, so we needed a bit of luck and resilience and showed that.
"Now we are in the final we want to win. We have had a great European season and now we want to finish it off."