Saturday, April 29, 2006

Owen assures Newcastle: I'm staying


Michael Owen has assured fans he want to stay at Newcastle United.

He insists he wants to repay his £16million price tag by helping lead the Toon to a top-six finish - but will stay on Tyneside even if the club miss out on a UEFA Cup place.
Owen said: "I joined Newcastle without the club being in Europe.
"I am committed to the cause but it is hard to show that commitment when you're not playing.
"So much is written and said about you and you have to just bite your lip.
"I am looking forward to starting next season fit and I've said a million times it will be with Newcastle.
"I have had a great first season, apart from getting injured. I love living here."
Owen added: "I'm very keen to get back into the thick of the action.
"I have hated every minute of being injured. I just wanted to be out on the pitch, doing my bit.
"And I don't think I have anything to prove between now and the start of the World Cup.
"It's a long time away - six weeks and I have no doubt I will be fit."