Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Arsenal star Lehmann: Let's win final


Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann insists they deserve their place in the Champions League final after his stunning last-minute penalty save last night.
Lehmann said: "We deserved it because we fought very hard. We didn't think it was a penalty, but I thought about Riquelme putting one to his right last week and decided to go there.
"It's a great night, but right now I want to win that final.
"It was a gift of a penalty, but fortunately he chose the same side as me. If you want to reach the final you have to make saves like these."
Recalled Sol Campbell, back in the side after a season almost wrecked by injury, added: "Jens is in fantastic form now and I had every confidence in him.
"It's been a tough road but I've kept going. The lads have been fantastic for me. I got my chance here and I've done a job.
"It's brilliant for us. It's also great for the manager Arsene Wenger to get to the final in France - I'm sure he will get a great reception."
Arsenal captain Thierry Henry also paid tribute to Lehmann, saying: "Jens had an amazing game and not only the penalty. Throughout he was magnificent. Once you are in the final anything can happen.
"We have shown we can play with flair and with desire. This result was about desire and commitment - we worked hard and everyone was chasing."