Thursday, April 27, 2006

Arsenal's Lehmann: I wanted it more than Riquelme


Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann believes he was more desperate than Villarreal's Juan Roman Riquelme in their penalty showdown on Tuesday night.
Lehmann said: "When I came to Arsenal three years ago it was because I wanted to win things.

"Now we have the chance of winning the biggest prize in football.
"I don't know if I won a psychological war with Riquelme but I am 36 now and I don't have many more chances of playing in a Champions League final.
"Riquelme is still only 28 or so and has the chance to get to another three or four finals. Maybe that was the big difference between us.
"The Villarreal fans were very close to me and trying to make life difficult but I'm not a nervous 21-year-old any more. That's one of the advantages when you're a little bit more mature."
Yet Lehmann revealed he had not been practising for a potential shoot-out in Spain and said: "You plan for penalties before a final but not for a game when you start with a 1-0 lead.
"If you practise penalties before the second leg of the semi-final, you are assuming you will concede at least one goal and lose the tie. And that is not the right frame of mind to go into such a big game."