Sunday, April 30, 2006

Curbishley: Time right to end Charlton era


Charlton boss Alan Curbishley said he did not believe he was in the running for the England job as his last game at The Valley ended in a 2-0 defeat to Blackburn Rovers.
Curbishley has been linked with the vacant position of England coach, and held preliminary talks with Football Association chief Brian Barwick in March.

The 48 year old told Sky Sports: "It's nothing to do with any outside influences whatsoever - I don't think I was ever in the running (for the job)."
Curbishley continued: "This decision is about me and Charlton.
"There are mixed emotions - I would have liked to have done well today.
"But it wasn't to be today - it was a very subdued performance and I thought it was going to be once the players and the fans knew (I was leaving).
"I've had a fantastic 15 years at the club but I felt the time was right for change for me and the club.
"I wasn't going to sign a contract extension and Richard wasn't happy because he wants people committed to the club and he felt one year wasn't commitment.
"We had a meeting yesterday which started lunchtime and by 5pm the decision was made. Rich and I are very happy with it and I leave on very good terms."