Saturday, April 29, 2006

FA back in talks with Brit pack after Scolari rejection


The FA are back in talks with their three British candidates for the England job - Sam Allardyce, Steve McClaren and Martin O'Neill - after Phil Scolari's decision to reject their offer yesterday.
The Sun says the trio were all contacted by the FA hours before the Brazilian sensationally withdrew from the race.

The appointment of Sven Goran Eriksson's successor went from a circus to a total farce as Scolari made his shock announcement at a hurriedly called Press conference in Germany. The Portugal coach said: "It's time to stop this clowning around. I've had enough of the circus.
"I will not, and I repeat, I will NOT be the England coach. I was offered the job but my decision is to stay with Portugal.
"England wanted an answer now and I could not give one so I will continue with Portugal.
"I cannot be and I will not be the England coach now or after the World Cup."
The FA learned the bad news from Scolari a couple of hours before his announcement.
Chief executive Brian Barwick contacted all the other contenders to tell them they were back in the reckoning.