Saturday, April 22, 2006

Newcastle legend Shearer: That's it, I'm done


Toon legend Alan Shearer has called time on his Newcastle United career.
A medial ligament injury to his left knee means he will never play competitive football again - but Shearer reckons he is the luckiest man alive.
He got the chance to play for his beloved Newcastle United for 10 glorious years, breaking the legendary Jackie Milburn's goalscoring record.
As he said a fond farewell to the professional game which has been his life for 18 years, Shearer told The Sun: "My dream as a kid was to play for Newcastle United and to score goals at St James' Park.
"It doesn't matter that I didn't win a trophy because I did it my way and I lived the dream. Unless you come from the area you wouldn't understand that mentality. Playing for the club is everything.
"I broke Jackie's record and no one can take that away from me. I've never had any regrets. I'm finished now and I have great memories.
The fact I won't be able to play the last three games is disappointing but I'm not complaining. How could I?
"I had focused on going all the way to the last game of the season against Chelsea and then my testimonial. Hopefully, I'll be able to kick-off the testimonial but there's lots of people worse off than me.
"Some people think it was a fantastic way to go out anyway by scoring in our 4-1 win at Sunderland last week. I think they might be right."