Monday, April 03, 2006

Ruud proud of 150 landmark


Ruud van Nistelrooy has admitted that reaching the 150-goal mark with Manchester United would have been beyond his wildest dreams when he joined the club.
The big-money arrival from PSV Eindhoven saw his switch to Old Trafford stall due to a knee problem, but he has been an instant hit at Old Trafford since scoring on his debut in a Charity Shield defeat to Liverpool in 2001.
Although the Dutchman is being made to fight for his starting place due to the outstanding form of Louis Saha, he is delighted to have found the net in consecutive games against West Ham and Bolton Wanderers.
After Chelsea's draw at Birmingham City, some believe United could still offer a genuine challenge to the champions for their Premiership crown.
"There's a lot to go for," he told MUTV. "Let's make it important, that's what we want.
"It's a hard place to come [Bolton]. Before this game, they'd only conceded seven goals at home and lost only one league game so you know it's always a hard place to come and win here.
"Our reaction was quite clear [to Chelsea's draw]. Let's look at our own game, do our own business and make sure we do well. The other results didn't have a big influence, I think.
"We're on a great run and want to continue that. We've got more than a week to prepare for Arsenal and we'll be ready for that one.
"It was good [to get on the pitch and score]. I had a few good touches when I came on and felt good.
"I had a chance before I scored but I lifted it over the bar, it was taken a bit too easy. Then there was a great move and I finished it off.
"What I always do is I always try to do [my best], no matter if it's one minute or 90 minutes, to see if any chances pop up and I'll be there.
"It's nice that it works out also that I score a good goal."
Van Nistelrooy reached the 150-goal mark for United, which sees him rub shoulders with some of the club's all-time greats, and he is proud of the achievement.
"150 goals, it's a great feeling on top of it all," he added.
"It's a proud feeling to play for United. I signed here five years ago and, to score 150, is more than I could have ever have dreamt of.
"That's why I'm grateful to the club and to the players also. It's great that my really hard work has paid off in that sense.
"Also, with Wednesday in the back of my head [when he scored the winner against West Ham], that's two great goals - two winning goals - to make it 150 so that's great."