Saturday, April 08, 2006

Curbs drops England hint


Alan Curbishley has dropped a bombshell hinting he may leave Charlton Athletic.
The 48-year-old is thought to be among a group of four in the running to succeed Sven-Goran Eriksson.

But, with one year left on his current deal, he said: "I always consider the reasons when signing a new deal.
"I have to ask myself why I'm doing it. If I'm still here this summer, I think we'll be at a bit of a crossroads."
Curbishley has been at The Valley for nearly 15 years, but has made no secret of his desire to take over at international level.
He also admits people are starting to question whether he has been at the club too long.
"People are looking at me and saying the obvious things; that I have been here too long, that I haven't managed big players, that I haven't managed a big club - but I can't do anything about that," he said.
And he believes chairman Richard Murray already has plans in place should he leave the club this summer.
"He must have some names on his shelf," said Curbishley.
"It would be unwise for him not to take those steps.
"The chairman needs to know what will happen one way or another, but it is a difficult position.
"But I'm sure if the job came up again, the chairman would be inundated with people showing their interest in taking over."