Sunday, April 23, 2006

Redknapp delighted as Portsmouth go 2 points clear


Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp was delighted with his team's gritty 2-1 win over Sunderland yesterday.
Matt Taylor's 88th minute penalty gift took Pompey out of the bottom three after Svetoslav Todorov wiped out Tommy Miller's strike for the already-relegated Wearsiders and Redknapp said: "We've given ourselves a real chance.
"It was always going to be a tough game for us. I don't care what anybody says. It has been a tough week because we had four injured players - two of whom made it and two of whom didn't.
"Matt Taylor showed a lot of bottle with the penalty which was our first in the league this season but it was terrific spirit all around. It was a big three points.
"Gary O'Neil played even though he couldn't even feel his foot and needed an injection in it. It was the same with Dejan Stefanovic.
"But (Lomana) LuaLua and Pedro Mendes have not trained all week and although LuaLua had an injection as well he was still in a lot of pain.
"I really don't know if Pedro or LuaLua will play again this season. Pedro has a thigh strain and it could go at any minute if he played and put him out for eight weeks.
"People were saying we could lift our goal difference against Sunderland but all I was interested in was winning the game. They played at times as though they were going to win it.
"We're two points clear of the bottom three now but we've got to win at Wigan next Saturday while Birmingham are at home. Then we finish with a nice easy one at home to Liverpool.
"I really can't say what way it is going to go but I'm not even thinking about next season yet or whether I stay on.
"On Monday we went to Charlton and murdered them but lost to two late goals so you can't predict what will happen. We've been on a great run with 17 points out of 24 but it is still all uncertain."
Sunderland looked like inflicting a shock win - only their third in the league this season - after Miller's goal put them ahead in the 70th minute.
But Todorov, who had missed two earlier chances, equalised three minutes later before Taylor's penalty winner.
Sunderland striker Kevin Kyle handled the ball at the near post and caretaker-manager Kevin Ball said: "I know how he feels.
"I did much the same as a player when I was with Portsmouth once. You can't legislate for it.
"I asked him 'Why did you do that big man?' He said it was just a reaction and I said 'you will learn from it'.
Former Pompey player Ball added: "It is a pity because I thought we could come here and win what with the tension affecting Portsmouth.
"I don't really want to talk about whether I think they will stay up."