Friday, May 19, 2006

Arsenal keeper Lehmann blasts Barcelona players


Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has blasted Barcelona players for the way they demanded he be sent-off in the first-half of Wednesday night's Champions League final.

Lehmann believes referee Terje Hauge was bullied into sending him off 18 minutes into the Champions League final on Wednesday.
The German's dismissal effectively blew the Gunners' hopes of glory in Paris.
Norwegian official Hauge has admitted he acted 'hastily' over the professional foul on Samuel Eto'o.
And seething Lehmann insists he will remember the sight of Barcelona players brandishing imaginary red cards until his dying day - and is seeking retribution. Lehmann, 36, said: "I will always remember that. I didn't say anything but in football and life you always meet twice and I will remember what they did.
"I didn't want to foul him but the Barcelona players demanded I get a red card. The ref didn't have the self-confidence to ignore them.
"I went to see the rest of the match with my family in the stands. I will need a few days to recover from this. But I will remember what Barcelona did to me and I'll take it to my grave.
"The ref could have given the goal instead and who can say what the outcome would have been then? It could have been different.
"I couldn't say anything to him about letting play go on and give the goal. The Barcelona players were around him immediately.
"I think he's from Norway. Sometimes it's difficult for a referee when they have two sides who are capable of playing very fast football. It's not that easy for referees to make decisions."