Friday, May 26, 2006

Villarreal signing Pires has dig at Arsenal's Wenger


New Villarreal signing Robert Pires took a parting shot at Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger yesterday.
Pires, 33, turned his back on Arsenal after refusing to fall into line with Wenger's policy of offering players over 30 only one-year deals.

But Villarreal boss Manuel Pellegrini did not hesitate in snapping up Pires on a two-year contract worth £50,000 a week.
The French midfielder, who must still pass a medical, said: "After six wonderful years at Arsenal, I have decided to accept a new challenge at Villarreal for the next two years of my career.
"I am delighted to agree this deal and hope I will be able to help them build on their impressive achievements of the last two years.
"The most important thing for me is to play regular football because that's what makes me happy. With Villarreal, I will be able to do that."
Pires, who joined Arsenal for £6million from Marseille in 2000, added: "Villarreal have some great players like Riquelme, who is one of the best in the world.
"I saw what a great atmosphere the stadium has when we beat them in the Champions League semi-final this season.
"I have always liked Spanish football and I want to experience La Liga. I already speak Spanish so it will be comfortable for me to adapt."