Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Man Utd's Rooney in training on Friday


Manchester United star Wayne Rooney is in line to return to England training on Friday.
The England striker is due to undergo a crucial scan less than a month after breaking his foot.

Boss Sven Goran Eriksson insisted: "He will not be fit to play football on Friday. But, hopefully, he will be OK to train. I have always been very positive that Wayne Rooney would be involved.
"Maybe that was more to do with my heart than my head.
"But now I am quite sure that at some stage of the World Cup he'll be ready to play. I strongly believe that."
Rooney suffered the injury against Chelsea on April 29.
But he was in plaster for less than a week and has been cycling at United's training ground under the supervision of boss Alex Ferguson.
Eriksson added: "We are in regular contact with Wayne and the doctors at United.
"I know how hard he works and I'm sure he is doing everything possible to be fit again.
"I know he is desperate to play in the World Cup and he thinks he'll be OK.
"So I don't think it should be a problem."