Saturday, May 27, 2006

Chelsea move in as Shevchenko admits he's leaving


Chelsea are ready to open talks with AC Milan after Andriy Shevchenko confirmed he's leaving the Italian giants.
Shevchenko, 29, met with Milan vice president Adriano Galliani on Friday to discuss his future, and afterwards said: "I'm leaving for family reasons.
"It wasn't a problem of relations and there is no economic problem."
Galliani said: "This is certainly the most painful divorce since I have been at Milan. We will begin negotiations with Chelsea and it will not be easy."

Shevchenko has an American wife and it is understood that they want their son Jordan to learn English.
Galliani, who is in charge of the day-to-day operations at Milan, added: "It's a victory of the English language over the Italian language.
"I've tried to convince him to stay - even one minute prior to the press conference."
Milan offered Shevchenko a contract extension until 2011.
"My wish is that the club can evaluate my transfer," added the Ukraine international.
"Of course I am saddened because I have seen the looks on the faces of the fans and because of the many messages I have received."
Shevchenko's wife, Kristen Pazak, is understood to be friends with the partner of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.
"My wife has nothing to do with this," said the striker. "We decided together for the best interests of our family.
"I don't speak English, my wife does not speak Ukrainian - the only language we have in common at the moment is Italian.
"The only way to be able to teach our children our love that we have for them is the English language."