Monday, May 22, 2006

Beckham: I cried when Man Utd sold me


England skipper David Beckham has revealed he broke down in tears when he was first sold by Manchester United to Real Madrid.

He says he now wants to finish his career at the Bernabeu - or United. But he admits he was reduced to tears when manager Sir Alex Ferguson showed him the door at Old Trafford in July 2003. Beckham said: "It hurt a lot. Everyone knows I'm a Man United fan, Man U mad.
"I signed for Real Madrid and, when I got home, I cried."
Beckham, 31, joined United as a schoolboy and made 359 starts for the club he supported as a lad.
He told TV documentary presenter Tim Lovejoy: "I expected to stay there my whole career.
"People were saying I was already talking to Real Madrid.
"I never talked to them until I got the call to say the club wanted to sell me."
Asked if he wanted to end his career at Madrid, he replied: "I think so. I want to settle down here. My family is happy here and I'm still happy playing football here.
"I want to be known as a player who has played at the top level for the best teams - and they don't come better and bigger than United and Real Madrid. There are no other clubs I'd rather play for in England than United.
"It's here or Manchester United, that's the way I feel."