Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Roeder: Butt, Bowyer have Newcastle futures


Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder insists midfielders Nicky Butt and Lee Bowyer could yet have futures at St James' Park.
Butt seemed certain to head for the exit after spending last season on loan at Birmingham, while Bowyer has been tipped as one of the victims of the new boss' need to reduce his squad and wage bill before he can build for the future.
However, having worked with both men in the past, Roeder has admitted the departure of neither is a foregone conclusion.

Roeder is due to sit down with chairman Freddy Shepherd this week to discuss the way forward and will make no hasty decisions.
"I know Nicky Butt very well from my time working with England with Glenn Hoddle," he said. "I worked with him for two years between 1997 and 1999.
"The Nicky Butt I know was excellent back then. He did very well for me.
"But I won't be rushing into anything. There is no need to do that at the minute because there are lots of managers away on holiday now.
"We are still to sit down and talk about who will potentially still be here at the start of the season."
The same applies too to Bowyer, who showed enough during Roeder's reign as caretaker to remind the manager of his quality before a hamstring injury ended his season prematurely.
Bowyer, who was signed by Roeder at West Ham from Leeds in January 2003, still has a year left on his contract and may yet figure in future plans despite his hefty wage packet.
"Lee Bowyer did very well for me and is another who I won't be in a rush to move anywhere," said Roeder.
"In the game against Tottenham at the back end of the season, Lee was absolutely outstanding, and when he is in that kind of form, you don't want him to be anywhere else.
"I haven't sat down with him yet, but as I say, I won't be in a rush for him to leave."