Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Roeder delighted to be named Newcastle manager


Glenn Roeder admits he feels "extremely lucky" after Newcastle confirmed his appointment as full-time manager on a two-year contract.
Roeder told the club's official website: "It's hard to describe how I feel at the moment.

"I know all about this club, having played here for almost six years and having captained the club.
"I'm an extremely lucky person to have been given this opportunity, and it is an opportunity I want to take."
Roeder will now take the UEFA course to ensure he has the necessary qualifications to manage in the top flight this time next year. His appointment has been strongly opposed by the League Managers' Association.
He added: "I had almost six years here (as a player), and that was an enjoyable time.
"I was aged 33 when I left, and I would have liked to have stayed longer.
"I said that so many times, and if I was ever asked to spend the rest of my life in Newcastle then that wouldn't have been a hardship, that would have been a pleasure.
"But to get the opportunity to come back here last July was great for me. I was happy with the opportunity to live here again, never mind managing the club.
"When came up here as a player, I suppose that having an ambition of managing the team wouldn't have been an option.
"As I went on, and you had asked me a couple of years down the line, I'd have said I'd like to be a manager here one day.
"Now it has happened, it shows that dreams do come true."