Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Pele tips Liverpool's Gerrard to be World Cup star


Pele rates Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard as the player to watch at next month's World Cup.
Brazilian legend Pele says he first noticed the Reds' skipper three years ago, and has watched him mature into one of the world's best midfielders.

Speaking at the launch of his new autobiography, Pele said: "Two years ago I saw Gerrard play and then I saw him in Tokyo in a game against SaoPaulo. I said then that Gerrard is a great player.
"To me he is one of the best midfielders in the world. He is an excellent player. No one talked about him two or three years ago - but I did. I liked him very much."
He added: "I think in the last four years, there is no doubt England have improved a lot. In the last 10 years they have been the best organised team and have a good chance to get to the final, no doubt.
"Unfortunately for England they have a problem with Rooney having broken his foot. He is a fantastic player and is a big loss for England. He is very important for the team.
"This is a big problem, but even without him I think England are a very strong team for this World Cup."