Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Chelsea's Ferreira: I hope Rooney can make World Cup


Chelsea defender Paulo Ferreira insists his conscience is clear after THAT tackle which may've ended Wayne Rooney's World Cup hopes.
But the Portuguese international has still apologised to the Manchester United star and is praying the England star will be fit for the World Cup.

He said: "I felt bad that Rooney was injured in a tackle with me but it was a complete accident and there was no bad intention behind the challenge.
"I told him that while he was receiving treatment on the pitch and I hope that everyone understands the truth.
"These things sometimes happen in football and we all risk injury during a game.
"I just hope that Rooney recovers quickly and he can play in the World Cup because I know how important he is to the England team."
TV replays of Saturday's incident clearly show Ferreira won the ball before Rooney damaged his foot as he fell to the ground.
Referee Mike Dean did not even award a free-kick and Ferreira added: "I think it's stupid for anyone to say it was intentional because it was a normal challenge and I only played the ball."