Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Eriksson on Arsenal's Walcott: I haven't lost my mind


England boss Sven Goran Eriksson insists he hasn't lost his marbles after selecting 17 year-old Arsenal kid Theo Walcott in his World Cup squad yesterday.
Time will tell whether that feeling is actually rocks in his head. But, without doubt, it is the boldest decision Eriksson has ever made in his England managerial career.

Even picking Wayne Rooney to start against Turkey in the Euro 2004 qualifier was nothing compared to this.
Walcott has NEVER played in the Premiership and made only THREE reserve appearances for Arsenal.
He has been capped ONCE by the England Under-19s - and Eriksson has NEVER seen him play.
Yet now that he is quitting, Eriksson has gone gung-ho and also picked Middlesbrough's Stewart Downing and Spurs' Aaron Lennon - who were not in the frame three months ago.
After consultation with Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, Eriksson decided on Walcott over breakfast yesterday.
Eriksson admitted: "It's probably not logical to go for Walcott - but you do it by feelings. I'm excited about him and can't wait to start working with him.
"I've thought a lot about it over the last couple of months. I don't know if people think I'm crazy but other managers wouldn't think I'm crazy.
"People don't know about him and that could be good.
"I don't think he'll be nervous or feel the pressure. I think he can handle it and cope with it. Arsene was more important to talk to than any other manager about their players, because I couldn't see Walcott play.
"It was time to come in with something new, something good and I think the players are very excited about it.
"I used Wayne Rooney in a game when he was 17. I've always been prepared to take out important players and put in young ones where necessary. You can't expect Walcott to have the impact Pele had when he was a youngster in 1958 but I'm excited.
"I don't think I'm being unfair. I've asked people if he can handle it and everyone said 'yes'. He's a steady boy.
"His best position is as a second striker in the Rooney role but he is a different player to Rooney."