Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Wigan boss slams "disrespectful" Chimbonda


Wigan Athletic boss Paul Jewell has blasted Pascal Chimbonda after the Frenchman's transfer demand on Sunday.

Jewell was furious when the Frenchman approached him in the dressing room at Highbury with an envelope containing two letters - one of thanks and the other demanding a move.
He said: "I was standing ready to shake the players' hands for leading us to a top-10 finish.
"Then Chimbonda came up to me, still dressed in his full kit, and handed me an envelope with his written transfer request, along with a note thanking me and the club for our help this season.
"To say I was livid is an understatement. We had two meetings last week to discuss the future and we had made it clear to him that we would not stand in his way if the right offer came along.
"To then be treated in this way shows a quite spectacular level of disrespect to myself, the chairman, to his team-mates and the Wigan Athletic fans who have supported him this season."