Monday, May 08, 2006

Zidane thanks Real Madrid fans ahead of last game


Real Madrid hero Zinedine Zidane has thanked supporters in today's match programme for the game against Villarreal - which will mark his last at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"I thank Real Madrid and the supporters for everything they've given me," Zidane wrote in his column.
"I have enjoyed very much these last five years. There have been some bad moments, but I will always remember the good times that I have had here.
"I came with the dream to win the European Cup and I can leave very calm because I have obtained it. Beyond the triumphs, I'll remember the people who I got to know at this club, because they have treated me very well and have always been very respectful."
The French great concludes: "This goodbye is only for football. I am not scared of retirement. Whenever a fan requests an autograph or a photo of me, I have the same excitement as if it was the first time. I leave very proud of my career because I have played in two of the greatest teams, Madrid and Juventus, and have won many titles."