Sunday, May 07, 2006

Arsenal boss Wenger urges England to pick Walcott


Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has urged England to take Theo Walcott to the World Cup.

Wenger declared: "I think he has something special. He could be a pleasant surprise, but, of course, it is a big gamble. Theo is only 17 years old and it is a big pressure to have - but I would not stop Sven from picking him. When Sven asks me about a player, I always give him my opinion - and I regard Walcott as a big prospect."

Wenger admits Walcott, who had been troubled by a shoulder problem in recent weeks, "needs games" and accepted: "At the moment we are playing so many matches that it is difficult to integrate him but he has the quality to do well.

"I have wanted for years now to be able to name at least 18 players in my squad - and if I had the choice to have a player like Walcott more involved in the A-team then I would and he would certainly have come on.

"For example, when you are 3-0 up at Sunderland rather than bringing on an older player I would say 'Okay, go on and have 20 minutes'. Then you could afford to do it.