Thursday, May 04, 2006

Middlesbrough's McClaren to be named England boss today


Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren is set to be named England's next manager today.
The Boro boss, whose side drew 1-1 at Bolton last night, has to be confirmed as the next England manager at an FA board meeting.

But that is a formality after his name was put forward by the nominations committee.
McClaren, who was 45 yesterday, will be Sven Goran Eriksson's coach this summer and has the full backing of the Swede.
Eriksson insists McClaren is no 'yes man' and can make the hard decisions.
He said: "People know what I think about Steve McClaren. As a coach he is perfect every time.
"When we get together with England after dinner all the coaches sit and discuss football. We talk about what to do tomorrow, about the next squad and next team and, of course, everyone has their opinion.
"When I took this job I told them I don't want to have people around me just saying 'yes'. I want opinions so we can discuss and, of course, he has an opinion.
"He is clever, too - of course he is."