Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Arsenal's Toure accuses Smith: Diaby injury no accident


Arsenal defender Kolo Toure says Sunderland's Dan Smith deliberately set about to injure teammate Abou Diaby.
Diaby, 19, broke and dislocated his right ankle after a horror tackle by Smith in the final minute of the Gunners' 3-0 win at Sunderland on Monday.

Diaby will definitely miss the rest of the season - including the Euro final against Barcelona in Paris on May 17 - and could face several months on the sidelines.
Smith, 19, insisted the challenge was accidental and wished the French ace a speedy recovery. But Toure is having none of it.
The Highbury centre-back claimed: "It wasn't an accident. He just came in to try and hurt the player which is really, really bad.
"I definitely think he went for the player and not for the ball.
"They made bad tackles all through the second half. I said someone would get injured. Then, two minutes later, it happened.
"What can we do? Because they were 3-0 down they tried to show some desire. Smith wasn't that clever. To show desire is not to kick or hurt the player.
"I think that's really bad for a young player to do that. It was inexperience from him."
Smith pleaded his innocence and said: "I thought I'd win the ball and had every intention of going for the ball. If I did catch him it wasn't meant. I sincerely went to win the ball. If it is serious, I wish him all the best.
"I went for the ball and apologise for whatever happened."