Friday, April 21, 2006

Gold: Birmingham used Savage snub as motivation


Birmingham City chairman David Gold has revealed he used Robbie Savage's alleged snub to motivate his players ahead of the win over Blackburn on Wednesday night.

Gold had branded Savage's decision to leave St Andrew's "unforgivable", but he attempted to make peace during the warm-up by motioning to shake hands in front of the dugouts. Savage refused, much to Gold's dismay, and the Birmingham chairman promptly headed for the home dressing room where he informed Steve Bruce.
"I am sure the players were made aware of [the incident] before the game," added the Birmingham chairman.
"I don't deserve to be treated that badly. I am hugely disappointed with what happened on Wednesday. When you put your hand out to shake someone else's hand, and they don't reciprocate, it's pretty unpleasant. It's horrible. It really disappointed me because it just didn't occur to me that Robbie would react in that way. I was great friends with Robbie. I don't deserve to be treated that badly. I tried my best to keep him at Birmingham.
"I did everything in my power because for two-and-a-half years he was outstanding for us. It was him who left, reneging on a four-year contract, which was pretty outrageous. Nevertheless, I still offered to shake his hand because you've got to move on in this world."