Monday, April 03, 2006

Drogba: Chelsea boss Mourinho backs my style


Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has hit back at his critics, claiming they're all just jealous of him.
Ivory Coast international Drogba told the People: A successful team always generates envy.

"It seems people want us to lose. Our coach has been the victim of it, as has Michael Essien and now me. People are saying stupid things about me being more like a hand-ball player than a footballer. These people don't understand the game. What forward wouldn't try to get one over the defender on the pitch?
"All players throughout change the history of football have tried it. I don't feel hated ... it is more jealousy at what we have achieved.
"I'm not going to the way I play just because it upsets some people that I score goals."
Drogba added: "Mourinho is not worried. He encourages me in the dressing room. He tells me not to change my style - the important thing is the goals because without them we don't win games.
"We are not worried by the criticism, we are just thinking about winning. The Premiership is almost won and now we want to win the FA Cup ... that will really upset people!
"I have heard criticism from Alex Ferguson and I don't understand because at United there are also play who go to the limits to win, yet he doesn't say anything about that.
"The booing I receive at away grounds doesn't matter to me. It is even normal. I come from Africa and there you play with pressure, even fear.
"The booing just gives me even more encouragement on the pitch."