Monday, April 24, 2006

Liverpool's Gerrard takes PFA top honour


Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has been named PFA Player of the Year.

Gerrard, 25, topped the poll voted for by his fellow players while Wayne Rooney picked up the Young Player trophy for the second successive time.
Gerrard pipped Arsenal striker Thierry Henry, Manchester United's Rooney and Chelsea trio Joe Cole, Frank Lampard and last year's winner John Terry.
It capped a great 48 hours for Gerrard after Liverpool's FA Cup semi-final win over Chelsea.
The Reds skipper said: "It has been one of the best weekends of my life.
"To go through to another final and win this special award is fantastic for me. I'm still in shock.
"I looked at the list of past winners and there are some fantastic names - some legends, so I am really proud to have joined them."
Young PFA winner Rooney, 20, said: "To win it twice is a great honour."