Thursday, April 06, 2006

Portsmouth chairman confirms Redknapp deal


Portsmouth are on the brink of offering boss Harry Redknapp a new contract - whether they avoid the drop or are relegated - his current deal expires in May.

Co-owners Milan Mandaric and Alexandre Gaydamak are ready to discuss a new deal for the 59-year-old who, according to chairman Mandaric, is also considered by his young billionaire partner as the right man for the job.
Mandaric, 67, told the Portsmouth News: "Sacha [Gaydamak] is finally seeing what I told him about. He is 100% behind Harry. When results were not going well Sacha did not jump to conclusions. He didn't do anything silly.
"He wanted to give Harry time and that is what he is doing. I strongly believe we will stay up but if, God forbid, we didn't I don't think there would be a better man to get us back in the Premiership."
He added: "I cannot see why Harry Redknapp will not be here next season. I do not think there's a better man for the job. I have discussed it with Sacha and we will sort it out in the next two to three weeks. We both believe that Harry is the man."