Thursday, April 20, 2006

Adriano in astonishing attack on Inter Milan


Inter Milan striker Adriano has launched a tirade against the club and teammates.

"There has certainly been a lack of respect on behalf of Inter, as a player in trouble should be defended in the Press," he was quoted in Brazilian website UOL Esporte.
"When I was on form, they asked me to say nice things about the squad and that's exactly what I did. Now there are no directors rushing to defend me."
L'Imperatore has been on dismal form in recent months, scoring just four goals in 2006, and he has been blamed by the fans and Press for Inter's shortcomings.
"I have no problem with my teammates, as my issue is with the club. There should be a better structure that can support this kind of criticism, as when the side loses, it becomes all too easy to pin the blame on one player.
"The journalists only take aim at one individual and it's not easy to play under these circumstances. Unfortunately, the club can't handle the media circus and there has to be a scapegoat: me."
Adriano has confessed he is very unhappy and therefore unable to play his best football, but also reveals more background to those reports he engaged in fisticuffs with Juan Sebastian Veron at half-time in the Villarreal defeat.
"I have a normal rapport with my teammates. We say good morning and good night. I don't speak to Veron, but I get on well enough with everyone else. The difficulty I have here is that all the responsibility is dumped on my shoulders. Now there are even stories that I won't go to the World Cup, but Carlos Alberto Parreira never told me that. These are the things I need Inter's support on, but they never do."
There have also been claims of a difficult relationship with Coach Roberto Mancini, who hardly ever opts to rest the Brazilian international.
"Everyone can see how much effort I put in. In the last two games against Villarreal and Milan I wasn't 100 per cent fit, but the Coach left me on my own upfront to lead the line. If a player isn't physically in top shape, how can you make such a decision?"
With Real Madrid and Chelsea both eager to snap up the 24-year-old hitman, Adriano's future looks a long way away from the Nerazzurri.
"I have clearly stated that if I am considered a problem by Inter, then I cannot stay here any longer," he concluded.
"If I am here now, it is down to Massimo Moratti, a man who has always helped me. There's another reason too, as this has become a question of pride, and that is to help Inter win the Scudetto. This is what gives me the strength to stay and try to achieve something."
Only hours after the furore sparked by these quotes, Inter released an official statement denying this was Adriano's intention.
"Adriano confirms he has absolute faith in the club and the team, a confidence he wished to personally tell Moratti in a private meeting over the past few days," read the missive.
"I think the lad was misunderstood," added agent Gilmar Rinaldi on the official club website. "His disappointment has only come from the desire to win something important with Inter and see a happy expression on Moratti's face, as he deserves success more than anyone in Italy. This is why we renewed his contract until June 30, 2010."